I got the Big “C”

Jan 5, 2012

Ya know I was just running around on the dog beach in November and even got yelled at for humpin a dog!!    December has been the worse.  I was at the Vet for a sore throat – got poked and prodded and given antibiotics.  Then a couple of days later I end up in the ER after I was choking on a hot dog at Nana’s house.  I was poked , prodded and had anesthesia to see what the heck was goin’ on in my mouth.   Given more antibiotics.  Wait and see.  Time passed but I was very sore and couldn’t eat and then I couldn’t drink.

Back to the vet and we scheduled surgery. (well my mummy and daddy did that because I don’t have a credit card).   On surgery day  I did my usual shakin” on the table and went on the table. When it was all done they told me that they took a “mass” out and they put a tube in my neck.  At least I could eat !!! Not the way I wanted to eat but I stopped losing weight. I had to wait a week to find THE answer. HOPING for a good answer. DREAMING that it was all a bad dream. Last Thursday Dec 29th they told me I had Cancer on my tonsil that was removed.

Its called Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC) but the pathologist could not rule out Lymphoma.  UGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I wish I could bark my brains out. I haven’t been able to bark for over a month. I am sooooooo tired all the time. My feeding tube is out but I still can’t eat. I thought cutting that thing out would help.  My mummy and daddy have to feed me with a big syringe.  I do lap up milk and sometimes ice cream with whipped cream on top.  But my world is upside down – so fast. The Doc told me I got 6 months or more.  The Oncologist said it was not treatable – enjoy life….. and run up all your credit cards ( I wish I had a credit card)

Jan 8, 2012

Mummy took me out for a walk today and I did have some energy to sniff a lot.

I am a hound mix so I loooove to sniff

Time for a nap!!!

Tuesday Jan 10, 2012

I start on my prednisone today to see if I can get my appetite back and then maybe we do the chemo thing……

I am so tired all the time. I can’t eat on my own and my mummy feeds me all day long with a big syringe. I did lap up 2 bowls of milk today but I have to do it lying down. I hope I will get some energy back. I don’t want to go just yet. I still have people I need to bark at again. I miss playing goofy paws and pulling every squeeker out of my toys. I miss jumping up at the door when my mummy and daddy get home and carrying a shoe around the house.  Time for a miracle.

Weds Jan 11, 2012

I went to my vet Dr. Maus & Dr. Greenwald today to check on my condition.  They knocked me out and when they were done they think I may also have masticatory muscle myositis (MMM). Its a disease that attacks your jaw muscles and prevents you from eating. Maybe that’s why I have wanted to open my mouth in 4 weeks. I am on mega doses of prednisone to help me. My tumor site still looks a little nasty but now we go see Dr. Ward to see if I have cancer in my Lymph nodes tommorrow.   I’m crossing my paws. On a good note I have been eating like a fiend since I got home – I think when I come off the drugs I feel good !!!! Today was a good day.

Thurs Jan 12, 2012

Today Daddy and Mummy took me to see Dr Ward, the oncologist. She was going to biopsy my lymph node. She sent me home because my lymph node was too small to check. She says that we should wait and see. They seemed happy about that.  I went home and had Nan visit me. I was wagging my tail and I actually barked. I still get tired easy but things are better. I ate all of my food and some raw hamburger. I am drinking water and milk on my own.  another good day….


About pokeyspeaks1

I bark about all kinds of things, usually at people who pass by on the street. Now I want my bark to be heard by many more!!!!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to I got the Big “C”

  1. Jim says:

    Ed, Mary, My name is Jet. I used to go for walkes with my dad every nite then I fell down, my right front leg gave out on me ouch that hurt. Then my Dad took me to the vet. The vet said they could do exploretory surgry to see what was going on in my shoulder or or wait and see if it getts better with meds 2 mounths later i am draging my paw. Can’t use my front leg. Back to the vet, the vet says I have Bone cancer. They can take my front leg off but that is not a gaurantee. They don.t take my leg off. So I go on with life no more walkes. But my Dad takes good care of me. I go out and eat and sleep for 2 monthes. Then I fell down the staires that hurt. The toumor is very big on my shoulder. My Dad calls the vet they tell him it is time for me to leave. That was the hardiest thing I ever did I know how you guys are feeling. Love him They are here to short of time. love Jim

  2. Terry Flanagan says:

    Eddie and Mary, I know how hard it is to take care of your sick Pokey.
    It was hard when our 2 cats Budweiser and Michalob had illnesses. Bud
    had diabetes and he got insulin 2x a day. Mikey ended up with kidney
    disease. Bud ended up with a low blood sugar and went blind that night.We had to put him to sleep that night he was 15yrs. old. Mick ended up in kidney failure,because of a high potassium,he couldn’t pick
    his head up.We tried to get it down with medication but we couldn’t bear to see him suffer. On New Years day some time ago after 17yrs. We put him to rest. They were the best cats in the world. So do what ever it takes to keep him for as long as you can. I hope he gets stronger give him a big hug for me. Terry

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s